Monday, March 21, 2016

Anthurium no. 0304 "Amanda Harpoons"

I kind of like Amanda. She's a darker red than the picture shows, and I almost always love the dark reds. The peduncle length isn't ideal -- it'd be nice to have a bloom that sat above the leaves, instead of a couple inches below -- but there's only been one bloom so far, so maybe she'll grow out of that.


The leaves are pleasant on their own: big, thick, dark green, "lizard" venation. All qualities I like.


I haven't noticed any particular issue with the scale,1 and the thrips have left her alone as far as I can tell. She's not the best seedling I have, but compared to the other blooms I've been getting lately, Amanda's great. Keeper, up-pot candidate but I'm probably not going to make that decision anytime soon.


I feel like I should say something more here, but I'm not going to, because: 1) I'm writing this mere days away from the orchid show, and after the show there's always that few days where I have to frantically organize all the pictures and rage about the misspelled tags and look up the ancestries and whatever, so the more posts I have pre-written, the less stressed out I have to be next week, and 2) Amanda is nice. They're not all going to be this nice.2 So maybe we should just sit and reflect happily on Amanda while we have the opportunity.

-

1 Alas, 0091 Bob Sharunkle and 0408 Tex Messich have both developed problems with scale since being moved up to larger pots, and I'm worried about some of the other recent promotions as well. Tex is no big loss if I wind up having to throw him out -- he's more of a novelty than a beauty -- but Bob's really nice. It would be a shame to lose Bob.
2 Though I like the next one, 0072 Beth Rowe, as well.


No comments: