Saturday, April 13, 2013

Saturday morning Sheba and/or Nina picture

Old picture (from last June), but I figure it will probably serve your Nina-photo needs. (If not, submit a refund request by e-mail. Allow 6-8 weeks for delivery. Refund is not transferable. Restrictions may apply.)

I'm less than thrilled with the color and overall photo quality, which is probably why I didn't post it last June, but it's my understanding that all I have to do is tell you that I used an Instagram filter on it, and then you have to like it regardless.


Not really any Sheba news. There's been a lot of traveling in the last couple weeks, which is rough on her (she sometimes gets carsick), but she didn't actually get sick, so that was nice.

I've gotten a couple new plants in the process, neither of which is particularly interesting (Sansevieria trifasciata 'Jade Dwarf' and Ficus benjamina 'Starlite' are my guesses, though neither one was tagged with a cultivar name), but at least they were cheap ($5 and $3-something, respectively).

Sansevieria trifasciata NOID, possibly 'Jade Dwarf.'

A lot more money went toward large (12-14" / 30-36 cm) clay pots: many up-pottings have been on hold for several months because I needed a couple really big pots, so I could free up a few sorta big pots, which would free up some medium-sized pots, and so on.

Ficus benjamina NOID, probably 'Starlite.'

Also questionable judgment but at least not terribly expensive: I've been working on a couple new plant profiles at once, for the "book" or whatever it's going to turn out to be, and I had forgotten about the problem where when I'm writing a profile, I tend to convince myself to get more of whatever it is I'm writing about. Worse, the search results for certain plants will bring up seed-selling sites, and you know how I am about seeds. So on Thursday, I discovered that I'd ordered 100 mail-order Leuchtenbergia principis seeds in some kind of seed-purchasing blackout.

(I already have two Leuchtenbergia principis plants. I mean, I like them very much, but that was unnecessary. Fortunately, it should only set me back by $8.50, so I imagine I'll survive.)

I am now soliciting suggestions for what a person could do with 80 or 90 seedling Leuchtenbergia principis seedlings. (The prize for the best answer: an undetermined number of Leuchtenbergia principis seedlings.)


7 comments:

Ginny Burton said...

Love the picture of Nina! Sleek and elegant.

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

Nina is adorable. I always enjoy photos of her, and of Sheba.

I do like Ficus benjamina 'Starlite'. It's not extraordinary or anything, but it looks quite nice.

CelticRose said...

Always glad to see Nina. :) It's good to hear that Sheba's doing well.

Ivynettle said...

So, should we take this as clues as to which plants you're writing about?

Have I told you how excited I am that you're working on a book? Because I definitely am! I hope it goes better than my half-hearted novel-writing!

mr_subjunctive said...

Ivynettle:

I'm only actually writing about Leuchtenbergia principis; I puchased the Sansevieria because I was feeling self-conscious about being the only customer the whole time I was there, and having spent about half an hour in the greenhouse even though it wasn't really that big, so I figured I needed to buy something just to seem like I had a legitimate purpose for being there. And most of the plants they had were either things I already had at home or things I'd had before and given up on.

As for the Ficus, well, I've been appreciating them a lot lately anyway, plus it was pretty cheap for its size and a variety I probably didn't already have.

It should maybe be noted that although I've mentioned writing a Madonna plant and I've mentioned writing Leuchtenbergia, the "person" for Leuchtenbergia is not Madonna.

Diane C said...

I like the plant in the second photo. It looks incredibly hardy which I need in order for it to survive my cats. BTW, I had an iguana who actually killed a mother-inlaws-tongue.

Carmen said...

I really love Leuchtenbergia principis, but yet I don't have one....I keep telling myself to order one, but I havn't got around to it yet...

Anyways, I'm also excited about this book your writing...I've always thought you should make one, there's not alot of 'good' plant books out there...