Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Random plant event: Aloe harlana (?)

I've never known exactly what this plant is; it was sold as Aloe harlana, but from what I read on-line, it probably isn't. The leaves aren't as wide on mine as most of the photos at davesgarden.com, and the flowers on everybody else's seem a lot darker orange, and more solid-colored than striped.

The flowers, as of 19 May 2012.

On the other hand, we have to make allowances for the fact that mine's being grown indoors without quite enough light (probably), and that can make a lot of plants look funny.

Whatever it is, this is the first time it's bloomed, so I have one more piece of information towards an ID. Maybe someday we'll know.

Emerging bud, plus the whole plant, on 14 April 2012.


3 comments:

Ginny Burton said...

Very interesting -- does it have a scent?

mr_subjunctive said...

Ginny Burton:

Not that I've noticed.

Rock rose said...

I have this same plant. Believe it or not it flowered while I was away this summer so I have no idea what the flower is. I sure would like its identity.